The sunny island of Cozumel is home to great walls, protected reefs and some of the speediest drifts in the world.
A 10 km (six miles) cross from Playa del Carmen lies Cozumel. This island has become a popular scuba diving destination.
Cozumel diving has all the ingredients for a great experience – warm water, great underwater visibility, amazing reef formations, underwater life and fun currents.
Cozumel is famous among the diving community for its lush walls and high-voltage drifts. The reef system around the island is a part of the Mesoamerican reef system and is protected by the Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park.
As such, it was an extremely healthy Caribbean reef, until the "Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease" ( read more... ) but still hangs in there and offers you incredible colorful dives in the reefs that are home to 26 coral species and more than 500 species of fish.
Cozumel is suitable for all levels of diver from beginners to experience divers. In particular, Cozumel is currently ranked as one of the top ten places for advanced diving. This is due to the deep walls and visibility that require extra vigilance.
Max depth: 30 m
Certification level: Advanced Open Water Diver
Min dive experience: 20 dives
Max depth: 16 m
Certification level: Open water diver
Min dive experience: 10 dives
*Experience with currents for wall diving is required - or enough diving experience, training and control to handle them*
Price $150 US / 2 tanks
Equipment rental $20 US
(BCD and Regulator)
*Soft equipment is included in the price (mask, fins and wetsuit).
Things to take into consideration
- Scuba Diving in Cozumel can be completed by speedboat or from Playa del Carmen (45 min ride). Meeting at 8 am - coming back around 1:30 pm.
- Strong currents are to be expected.
- We do not offer Discover SCUBA diving nor Open Water training in Cozumel.
- For certified divers, please note that a Refresher course will be required for any diver who has not dived for 12 months or longer.
Proof of your last dive will be required when diving with us.
- DIVING and FLYING: For multiple dives (2 or more) you must leave 18 hours before getting onto an airplane. For more safety we highly recommend 24 hours.
- Take in consideration that strong currents may be encountered, experience with currents is preferred.