It is here at the Riviera Maya, where you can find the “Cenotes”, considerate sacred by the Mayans, they believe these are an entrance to the underworld “Xibalba.
Cenotes are majestic underwater caves, where the natural underground fresh water and the salt water of the sea meet and run along the whole peninsula.
A”Cenote” is a natural pit resulting from the collapse of limestone bedrock that exposes groundwater underneath.
With their visibility that extends 152 meters/ 500 feet, and beyond, and formations that each took over 100,000 years to form, we guarantee that these will be some of the must unique and special dives you’ll ever experience.
Certified Open Water Divers can take a cavern tour guided by professionals qualified by technical cave diver associations to lead such dives. Beautiful speleothems, fossils, amazing light effects as the sunlight shines through the cracks in the ceiling, air domes with bats, halocline and hydrogen sulfate layer effects can be found in some of the Cenotes.
Cavern diving takes place in an overhead environment, making the dive a highly controlled, limited dive along a line into the cavern zone, which is defined as within the natural light zone and within 200 ft (60m) of an exit. ...
Things to take into consideration
*The entry fees to the Cenotes are not included in the price*
- You want to be sure you have good buoyancy skills before your first guided tour, the caves have been forming for thousands of years so it is very important to be careful and respectful.
- Please be advised that for safety and rules, kids under the age of 15 years are not allowed to do Cavern Diving.
- Cenote Diving is a very independent kind of diving, you are expected to be able to assemble your own equipment and be able to carry your tank to the water. To blow bubbles in a cenote, you’ll need to do a little heavy lifting.
*If you are unable to do so, please let us know in advanced so a “Sherpa” can be hired for an extra cost.
- We discourage people that are claustrophobic or afraid of the dark to Cavern dive.
- Mosquitos are to be expected since we are entering the jungle, bring proper clothing, shoes and protection against these tiny monsters.
- The use of sunscreen is strictly forbidden, please help us keep our water systems clean.
- Do not exceed the limits of your training level by entering an overhead environment for which you’re not qualified.
If you are not yet NITROX (Enriched air Nitrox) certified, this could be your chance to get your certification, that will be life changing through out your diving life.
Extend your dive time, dive safer and keep more energy for the rest of your holiday activities by diving with enriched air.
We’ll go through the practical session before our dives, where we’ll:
- Discuss managing oxygen exposure.
- Practice analyzing oxygen content in your scuba tank.
- Set your dive computer for diving with enriched air nitrox.
Sign up for Enriched Air Diver Online – PADI’s eLearning option – to get started immediately. The web-based system covers all the enriched air diver course content and allows you to study at your own pace through an easy-to-use, interactive program.
Price: $200 US
*Includes e-learning theory, certification and Nitrox Tanks*